WORKERS WELFARE ACTIVITIES
The Assam Company besides providing the statutory benefit of Provident Fund, Gratuity, Bonus etc, provides the following : -
- Pacca Quarter per family with electricity and water supply.
- Free medical facilities to all workers including medicines.
- Firewood for the purpose of cooking.
- Monthly ration of Tea
- Protective clothing such as plucking apron, chappals, masks etc.
- Crèches for the workers children located at convenient points on the estate where the children are cared for and provided milk and rice whilst there mother are busy at work.
- Food grains are provided to families at heavily subsidized rate.
The facilities of clubs for both workers and staff have been made available with of certain sports such as Badminton, carom etc. and Television sets for entertainment.
Each estate has a number of Primary School depending on the population of the estate and basic education is provided with.
SOME OF THE ADDITIONAL INITIATIVES TAKEN UP BY THE COMPANY ARE : -
Thare Machi – The Starfish Initiative -
THE Star Fish Initiative was conceptualized to bring awareness to women and girls as young as 8years. These utilize the latest communication technology by providing lessons on computers and television sets and DVD players. It is fundamentally a classroom inside a mobile container which basically aims at educating women and girls. Our Group Chairman Dr.K.K.Jajodia is a patron of “Thare Machi – The Star Fish Initiative”. The Container has been stationed at our estates in Dibrugarh district.
Mothers Club –
Mothers Club have been formed on each estates where a group of women are selected to form the “Mothers Club”. These women take the initiative of promoting hygiene and better living condition in the workers colonies.
Mobile Clinics -
Mobile Clinics have been provided by the Company which give basic medical facility to neighboring villages where the estate Medical Officers hold camps, treat patients and distribute free medicines.
School Bus Facility -
Each estate is provided with school bus for conveying children to nearby towns to enables them to pursue further studies in school and colleges.
Football & Cricket Tournament -
The Company organize inter estate Football and Cricket tournaments for workers and staffs.
Over 54% of employees of estate are women.